So it's the Sunday after the night before, and what better way to follow Saturday's brief encounter than with a beef encounter; Great Restormel Roast Review style.
Nursing hangovers, guilt and the occasional flashback, the normal gaggle of co-reviewers were not available. My domestic assistant and the little people had to attend a function at Ben's Play World and so I had the following dilemma:
- Spend my Sunday with dozens of screaming little people eatings crisps.
- Go for a solo roasting (the last time I went for a solo roasting was on Hampstead Heath. The gravy was superb).
The Britannia Inn
When I told my friend Dave that I was going to the "The Brit" for a roast he said something very close to "No No No No ..No". I was kind of with him, but in the name of the GRRR it had to be done. We have eaten there a few times, especially in the Summer, as it has the best outdoor area in the area by a long way. It's practically Disneyland. But the food has never been great and one or two times it has been pretty yuck- I think it's a law or Cornish nature that the quality of pub food is inversely proportionate to the quantity of tourists.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Brit is a bad pub, it's just not in the same league as a lot of local pubs -especially in the ambiance/charm/atmosphere stakes.
- The beef - was pretty good. Nice "pure meat" slices and not overcooked. Defo the second best beef in the GRRR so far.
- Gravy - This was top notch. Beefy and thick. The kind of gravy that makes you take stock of your Sunday, and, perhaps in a wider sense, your life.
- Roasties - Beauties! Couldn't fault them: crispy and yummy.
- Veggies - Not bad. Savoy cabbage was good. The carrots were really thinly sliced which again, was a welcome new twist to what is an oft maligned root vegetable.
- The price - It was £8.95 for the roast and a dessert. I didn't want a dessert and yet I was forced to pay full price. This "forced free price hike" is a rubbish idea. When I voiced my concerns the waitress, who was very nice, made out like I had just declared Jihad on the pub.
Score and Conclusions
Unless you're eating outside, the Brit Its not really a very nice pub for a eating. It's big and a bit Harvestery and is a far cry in location from the area's better situated hostelries. But the roast was good, no mistake.
Official GRRR score for The Britannia Inn: 7/10
Telephone: 01726 812889
The GRRR Charts
1st The Western Inn, St Austell – 8/10
2nd The Britannia Inn, St Austell – 7/10
3rd The Polgooth Inn, Polgooth – 6/10
4th The Ship Inn, Lerynn – 4/10