Sunday 14 January 2007

Review: La Scala Wine Bar and Resturant, Truro


After lusting over the handbags in the window of Via Appia, it’s all too easy to walk straight past the discreet glass door leading to La Scala. There’s nothing much there to suggest that behind it, nestled behind the cathedral on Cathedral Lane, is a rather smart Italian themed wine bar that’s the perfect place to meet your girlfriends after a hard day at work or just vexing your visa card.

La Scala comprises several elegant rooms including a bar, a lounge, a conservatory and a garden over two floors. The décor is classy and understated, as is the menu. There are only seven dishes to choose from, all at a very reasonable £7.95, and all authentically Italian. My dining companion and I both plumped for the melanzane, an aubergine and courgette pasta dish. Aubergines are often underdone and woody, but La Scala’s melanzane was done to perfection, and accompanied by fresh baguette and a leaf salad- sadly undressed, my only complaint about the meal. The food was of an extremely high quality and the service excellent. I enjoyed two good, fresh tasting coffees with my lunch, but soon wished I’d left the car at home when my friend ordered a Pinot Grigio from the extensive wine list and declared it crisp and chilled to perfection.

The meal, including three coffees, one glass of wine and two main courses, came to £24, which in my view represents pretty good value for the overall dining experience. If Carrie Bradshaw ever felt like exploring Sex In This City, she’d take the weight off her Manolo’s in La Scala. And I’d join her.

Food 9/10

Ambiance 9/10

Service 10/10

Value 9/10


La Scala

15 St. Marys Street , Truro

01872 275 600

1 comment:

Stephie said...

I went there for the first time yesterday, and would also highly recommend it - definitely going back!